Tax Credits 101: The Beginner’s Guide to the LIHTC as a Development Tool September 20, 2017, 1:30-4:00 p.m.
A NAHRO Professional Development e-Learning Seminar developed and delivered in partnership with Enterprise Community Partners
The financing tools available to local housing agencies continue to evolve, and there are questions surrounding the long-term viability of traditional funding streams that support public housing. Now more than ever, PHAs are well-served by positioning themselves to diversify their operations and become more entrepreneurial. Doing so may require gaining an increased level of comfort and familiarity with financing mechanisms outside of core PIH programs.
Among other topics, this interactive training will cover:
- The history and purpose of the LIHTC program
- What kinds of project LIHTCs can finance
- The types of Credit (4 percent vs. 9 percent)
- Tax Exempt Bond Financing
- Qualified Allocation Plans
- Housing Authority eligibility
- The LIHTC application process
- Tax Credit syndication
- Calculating equity
- Structuring a sample property
- Placing a project in service
- LIHTC underwriting
All session participants will earn 0.25 Continuing Education Units that can be applied toward NAHRO Certification TM and recertification requirements.